Verulam Golf Club is a members’ Club with a parkland 18 hole course, established in 1905 and steeped in history as home to Samuel Ryder, our 3-time Club Captain and is locally renowned for great drainage and greens.
Our current Course Manager is standing down after many successful years in post and the Club is now recruiting for his replacement.
We are currently engaging on 2 major course projects, a borehole/reservoir installation and bunker refurbishment programme, with both looking to commence in the autumn of this year and the new Course Manager will drive and shape these projects moving forward, in conjunction with the General Manager and Management Board. These are to ensure Verulam remains a golfing venue of choice in the area and further afield. We are always constantly striving to improve all aspects of the service we offer to our members and visitors and we have also recently engaged the services of Edwards Design International (EDI) as our new retained Course Architects, after receipt of a Course Masterplan document in 2021.
The club has a history of sustained investment in the course with extensive ecological, irrigation, drainage, agronomic and surface improvement programmes. We are in a strong financial position to continue this investment.
We are looking for a Course Manager to maintain our course to the very highest standard. The desired person needs to have the ambition, drive, energy, and attention to detail to continually improve the course and strive for excellence.
The postholder will also take responsibility for the full course including all practice facilities and site including car parks, paths, Greenkeeper’s sheds and facilities.
Essential Criteria Definition
These are the skills, qualifications, experience and attitude you will need in order to be shortlisted for the post. These are essential to perform your role on day one.
- Five years’ experience in horticulture, grounds maintenance or similar environment
- FEOA qualifications PA1, PA2 and PA6
- NVQ Level 3 in Horticulture or other recognised qualification in this field
- A proven track record of man management and team building
- Experience of maintaining fine turf
- Working as part of an ‘excellent customer focused team’ you will be required to deliver all cultural practices along with setting of pins and marking of hazards for regular club play in addition to tournament play and course grooming and be responsive to climate changes and the course needs.
- You will be required to have a detailed knowledge of agronomy, plant pathology, entomology and chemistry. Knowledge of soil science is also desirable.
- Leading a team of Greenkeepers you will co-ordinate, organise and control all works on the Golf Course on a daily basis including but not limited to daily staffing tasks, use of and ordering of appropriate machinery and materials.
- In addition, you will support the General Manager and Management Board in identifying and developing any plans for future development of the Golf Course and associated areas.
- As you will be leading the team, you will be responsible for identifying any training and development needs of your team and provide regular coaching and mentoring to ensure the continuous development of your team and the Golf Course.
- You will be counted on to understand the needs of our diverse customer base and provide an exceptional level of customer service at all times to each of our customers whether internal or external by being welcoming, approachable, responsive and considerate.
- An excellent eye for detail in all aspects of course set up and presentation
- In-depth knowledge of industry trends and future challenges
- Relevant IT Skills
Extensive knowledge and experience of the following areas:
- Turf maintenance machinery
- Methods of pest and disease control
- Irrigation systems
- Use of Fertiliser programmes
- Experience of people management
- Finance experience including budget management
- Strong organisation skills with the ability to prioritise workload to meet strict deadlines
- Current full and clean driving licence
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Flexibility with working hours to get the job done
- A mature, confident and professional approach
In addition, we expect that everyone:
- Complies with all health and safety legislation and any site safety rules imposed by management to ensure the health safety and welfare of yourself and other persons, such as members of the public. All relevant health and safety documentation and training will be provided.
- Acts in accordance with UGC’s Equal Opportunities policy and treats colleagues and customers with dignity at all times, and does not discriminate against, or harass other members of staff or customers, regardless of their status. You should also counteract such practice or behaviour by challenging or reporting it.
A remuneration package commensurate for a Course Manager of a venue of our standing within our area will be offered. No accommodation is included.
To apply please send an up-to-date CV with a covering letter to the General Manager, Paul Keen to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday 1st July 2022.