St Paul’s is a selective Independent Day School for boys aged 13-18, occupying a superb 45-acre site on the south bank of the Thames, west of Hammersmith Bridge. St Paul’s School excels academically at both A level and GCSE, with some of the highest national scores, but it is the work beyond the curriculum that excites both students and teachers alike.
We are seeking to recruit a full-time Groundsman to join our dedicated and thriving Grounds Team. The School is located on an exceptional 45-acre site, offering outstanding grounds. The successful candidate will be expected to work on the maintenance of the grounds and gardens, and to present the grounds to a high standard, including preparation of the site for the different sports that are played throughout the year (Rugby, Cricket, Football & artificial surface).
Main duties and responsibilities:
• Support the Deputy Groundsmen & the team of groundsmen and gardeners in the upkeep of the School grounds and gardens and School properties locally.
• To ensure all tasks are carried out safely and effectively with due regard to Health and Safety for yourself, staff, pupils and visitors as directed by the Deputy Groundsmen.
• To operate machinery in a safe and effective manner in accordance with the operators’ manuals with due regard to Health and Safety instructions and Risk Assessments.
• All staff have a responsibility and duty of care to safeguard and promote the welfare of pupils. Staff must be aware of the systems within the School which support safeguarding and must act in accordance with the School’s Safeguarding & Child Protection policy and Code of Conduct. Staff will receive appropriate child protection training which is regularly updated.
• Ensure the security of the outbuildings/pavilions/garages where equipment is stored, remembering to unlock and lock at the appropriate times.
• To mark out the ground for all forms of sports activities as directed.
• Apply chemicals if suitably qualified when and where necessary.
• Be responsible for keeping a specified area clean and free from rubbish and debris, and leaf clearing as required.
• Ensure gardens are well kept and prepare ornamental features as directed.
• Carry out routine maintenance on horticultural equipment, as required.
• To provide onsite support for sports fixtures, as required.
• Keep roads and pathways clear of snow and treat with rock salt as required
• Ensure proper use of equipment
• To be aware of the Health and Safety issues concerning use of the above equipment
• To assist in the use of the following Materials:
1. Soils & sands
2. Soil improvement materials
4. Petrol & Diesel Fuel
• To be aware of the Health and Safety issues concerning the use of the chemicals and their storage.
• To work outdoors on the grounds except when weather conditions are such that outside work is impossible. Work will then be carried on inside garages and pavilions.
St Paul’s School and St Paul’s Juniors are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post including checks with past employer and the Disclosure and Barring Service. St Paul’s School and St Paul’s Juniors are an equal opportunities employer.
Permanent, full time
Monday to Friday 7:00 am to 3:00 pm with flexibility required on occasions to cover specific events. A rota system is in operation to cover weekends.
£17,000 – £24,000, dependent on experience.
Friday, 22 June 2018