Responsible for the preparation and running of the Emirates Stadium and wider facilities at other locations for all events and functions. Department remit includes property and facilities management, spectator safety at events, wider Health and Safety matters.
To manage the groundstaff in the day-to-day maintenance and general upkeep of Emirates Stadium playing surface.
- Effective management of all grounds activities to consistently achieve the recognized standards and availability to satisfy both the Club and its end users (e.g. coaches, players etc) requirements.
- Seek to improve and innovate more efficient ways of working and utilising the facilities.
- Assist the Grounds Manager in the management of sports and amenity surfaces for the end user.
- Performance management of direct reports and matchday staff, including PDR assessment.
- Implementation and monitoring of weekly, monthly and annual maintenance programmes to ensure the required standard of surface is produced.
- Be fully knowledgeable of the Health and Safety regulations in the area of responsibility.
- Possess a thorough understanding of legislation relating to chemicals and dangerous substances. Promote safe working practices at all times.
- Manage and check facilities, plant, buildings and equipment to ensure safe working practices and Health and Safety legislation compliance.
- Provide effective materials and machinery management to ensure all equipment is correctly stored, maintained and serviced.
- Conduct basic risk assessment, assist in developing contingency plans and be able to respond to emergencies. Actively promote safe practices of self and others.
- Support the efficient use of resources. Gather and record information to develop trend data and analyse past usage. Make recommendations for improving the best use of resources and the playing surface.
- Experience in the use of machinery in association with pitch maintenance and renovations procedures.
- Assisting in the renovation of pitches using equipment associated with this process e.g. tractor and trailer work, sand spreading.
- Helping out with deliveries, manual handling of bags of sand, sand soil, fertilizer bags, seed bags ranging from 20-25kg
- Cleaning equipment stores and associated washdown areas
- Management of artificial lighting units
- Daily management of the undersoil heating, irrigation and FAVV systems
- Ad hoc duties as and when required.
Match/Event responsibilities and organisation:Working Matchdays and Events Utilising the Playing Surface
Main job requirements and person specification…
To be qualified to Degree Level or above in a Turf management qualification. In the absence of qualifications at least 5 years’ experience would be necessary in the turf industry. Spraying certificates PA1, 2 and 6 would also be an advantage.
- The ability to use a wide range of turf care equipment i.e. cylinder mowers, ride on mowers, scarification equipment plus a wide range of renovation equipment.
- Experience of managing teams of operatives, planning and organising workloads, allocating duties, monitoring performance and Health and Safety Issues.
- Previous experience in all aspects of grounds management, not only on playing surfaces but amenity landscapes as well.
- Extensive knowledge of soil science and turf grass management.
- Good understanding of budgetary requirements.
- Competent with regards to the Management of artificial lighting systems.
- Management and maintenance of irrigation and undersoil heating systems.
- Prior experience of carrying out other duties in relation to the general upkeep of a stadium environment.
- To be able to work not only as part of a team, but also to show the capabilities to work using your own initiative, with the ability to demonstrate a good understanding of the latest health and safety legislation especially when using equipment.
- Mechanical knowledge would also be an advantage i.e. dealing with mower breakdowns and routine maintenance on equipment.
- Have a good mechanical knowledge of equipment.
- Experienced in the day to day management of staff.
- Ability to innovate and think pro-actively with regard to turf management.
- Be able to have a flexible attitude in carrying out other duties in relation to the general upkeep of the stadium bowl area.
- Competent IT skills.
- Working to a high standard in looking after sports turf and amenity landscapes.
- Be physically fit enough to deal with the manual and physical demands of the job such as the manual handling of deliveries such as bags of material of various weights.
- Have a meticulous approach to work when attention to detail is essential along with good communication skills when dealing with members of staff along with coaching staff.
- Ability to use a wide range of turf care equipment i.e. pedestrian cylinder mowers, triple mowers, scarification equipment plus a wide range of renovation equipment.
- To be able to work not only as part of a team ,but also to show the capabilities to work using your own initiative and providing a good understanding of the latest health and safety legislation especially when using equipment.
- Enjoy working to a high standard and have a flexible attitude, especially in terms of the unsocial hours that might be necessary.
- A passion or empathy with sport/sports entertainment.
Process to apply:
Please submit your application on our careers website.
40 hours per week, with some evening and weekend work required. This role requires individuals to work flexibly. There may be some evening and weekend work required.
Competitive based on qualifications and experience
Friday, 14 December 2018