St George’s Park
Unite the Game and Inspire the Nation through Winning England Teams.
The Football Association (The FA) is the governing body of football in England. We are responsible for promoting and developing the game at all levels; from grass roots through to the professional game, The FA Cup and the England International teams, and has two core assets: Wembley Stadium and St George’s Park.
To deliver against our goal we have reallocated resources and invested heavily in developing a team of exceptional people capable of creating winning England teams at our world-class training facilities at St George’s Park in Staffordshire.
This is a unique and exciting time to join The FA and the Technical Team will be integral to the organisation achieving its goals.
- Lead in the development and prolonged improvement strategy of the grounds and estates at St George’s Park (SGP) with the goal of achieving a world leading venue befitting the national team set-up and other high profile clients.
- Lead our grounds teams to provide elite standard playing surfaces to meet the needs of The FA Group, in terms of England games / training and development programmes and all third party customers.
- Lead the Estates team to ensure the horticultural, environmental and ecological needs of the SGP wider estate are managed with a clear strategy in line with the masterplan.
- Ensure our venue achieves iconic status globally, through being at the cutting edge of turf care technology, sustainability initiatives, ecological issues and countryside management.
- Provides a service to the Technical department (as needed) regarding pitch selection, inspection and consultation for key development teams games/tournament and senior team away games.
- Develop a highly skilled grounds and estates team that has clear routes of progression and a seamless succession plan.
- Develop the grounds and estate strategy for SGP, designed to deliver high performing playing surfaces and an inspirational wider estate
- Work with the SGP management team and key stakeholders to ensure consistent and measurable improvement of the venue in line with the masterplan
- Propose and agree quality control measures in relation to the playing surfaces which relate to pitch ‘DNA’ in collaboration with the Wembley Head Groundsman
- Liaise with the commercial team on diary management and the most effective playing surfaces schedule and all pitch related logistics, to ensure there are adequate facilities for the England teams, FA development, FA Learning and third party customers
- Develop pitch maintenance programmes and replacement strategies to maintain all playing surfaces year round to an elite level as agreed by bodies such as FA, UEFA and FIFA; in line with agreed industry limits
- Manage the development of the grounds and estates team to ensure a continual improvement of their knowledge and professional experience
- Manage Grounds and Estates budgets to ensure responsible fiscal management practices are employed
- Manage Pitch Contractors as required to renovate surfaces as dictated by the booking calendar across the venue
- Maintain grounds and landscaping areas of St Georges Park and ensure all aspects of the 106 Agreement are met
- Create and maintain a safe working environment for all SGP staff and users, this includes but is not limited to a H&S program, on-going equipment maintenance program, regular communications regarding pitch works and treatments
- Support the senior management team in Capital and master planning projects to further develop the site in line with future needs
- Ensure our iconic site remains at the cutting edge of turf care technology through ongoing research and development programmes and collaborative decision making with the Wembley Head Groundsman
- Provides a service to the Technical department (as needed) regarding pitch selection and inspection for key development teams games / tournament and senior team away games
- Actively investigate business efficiency across the Grounds and Estates at SGP and implement a programme to capitalise on them ensuring due diligence is exercised when making decisions on procurement and product selection
- Executes additional task as required to meet FA Group changing priorities
- Member of Institute of Groundsmanship or equivalent European association with relevant qualification in sports turf management
- Extensive experience of managing high performing amenity surfaces and intensively managed estate grounds.
- Excellent knowledge of pitch maintenance equipment (cylinder mowers, renovation machinery, under soil heating system, chemical applicators, etc)
- An understanding and experience of different turf and synthetic surface including soil types and drainage
- Computer literate in spreadsheets and word processing
- Proven financial management experience
- Experience in managing a team
- Relevant technical qualification e.g. craft / city & guilds
- Excellent Football Knowledge
- COSHH qualification preferred
- Relevant Health & Safety qualification preferred
- Environmental and ecological experience related to estate management
- Hold the following NPTC accreditation PA1, PA2 and PA6
Process to apply:
Please submit a CV and covering letter via our careers website
What we can offer you:
- An exciting and challenging role within a changing, dynamic and world-renowned sports organisation.
- Attractive benefits and a competitive salary for the right candidate.
- The Football Association Group promotes inclusion and diversity, and welcomes applications from everyone. If you have any particular requirements in respect of the recruitment or interview process please mention this in your covering letter.
Permanent Full Time
0844 980 8001
Friday, 17 January 2020