We are seeking to recruit a talented, experienced and knowledgeable individual into the role of Head of Grounds at Stratford Sports Club. The Club boasts over 1400 members across seven sports – cricket, squash, boxing, snooker, tennis, hockey and athletics. Our club welcomes a wide range of people from across the area, with the beautiful surroundings and clubhouse being the heartbeat of our community.
This fantastic opportunity gives the successful candidate the chance to manage and develop our excellent cricket (x2) and tennis (x4 needlepoint and x3 clay) facilities and surrounds.
You will lead the management of Stratford Sports Club cricket, tennis, general grounds and recycling team. You will lead a team undertaking both responsive and planned maintenance duties, executing workmanship to a high standard. You will proactively manage your team assisting all others in order to maximise the efficiency of the department as a whole.
The role will be key in delivering a culture of continuous improvement, and through high standards of service, enhancing the member and community experience.
In addition, this role will manage the grounds team to ensure tasks are carried out in accordance with Health & Safety legislation, and will oversee the development and training of this team.
As Head of Grounds, you will report to the Director of Operations on a day-to-day basis. Have regular contact with the Director of Cricket and Tennis and the Head Coaches of Cricket and Tennis, as and when required.
- Preparation of playing surfaces to ECB & MCCL Premier League Standard
- Be proficient in assessing, managing annual and general maintenance of all sports playing surfaces.
- Continually seek improvement and efficiency of service provision
- Be proficient in assessing, managing and where necessary completing general maintenance of gardens/grounds (e.g. grass cutting, tree and shrub maintenance, hard and soft landscaping works, weeding, pruning seasonal bedding displays & decorations, recycling activities, clearance of litter, snow, ice and leaves and any general gardening duties, maintaining acceptable productivity outputs and quality of workmanship in accordance with industry practices
- You will have overall responsibility for safe working practices, maximising productivity, ensuring the quality of the workmanship, reporting activities and all personnel management aspects of the Grounds teams
- You will ensure that appropriate training is identified and implemented for the team, motivating staff to continually develop their skills. You will provide advice and guidance to direct reports and undertake development reviews and manage your team positively and provide leadership in your area of responsibility in order to ensure maximum contribution by your team.
You will contribute towards estates budget management by:
- Monitoring and reporting on compliance with agreed budgets
- Contributing towards decision making processes in relation to plants and equipment
- Maximise efficiency in all material purchases
- Endeavouring to maximise efficiency in all departmental purchasing
- Reporting in detail and accounting for all expenses
- You will develop, deliver and maintain strategies allowing maximum efficiency at minimum cost in relation to:
- Plants, equipment and tools
- You will analyse, monitor, evaluate and strive to improve the performance of all staff and procedures managed by you
- Undertake duties in accordance with established Health and Safety regulations and University Health and Safety policies including the assessment of risks relating to the works to be undertaken. Lead and monitor all activities within area of responsibility ensuring team compliance with all Health and Safety requirements
- Ensure your team deliver on all ground’s activities in relation to special events e.g. sports awards and garden parties/outdoor events
- You will have overall responsibility for contractor management within your area of expertise and effectively manage their service provision in terms of quality, effectiveness, value and health and safety. You will also ensure that your team engage positively with external contractors
- Lead the development of improvement and maintenance regimes throughout the estate
- Lead collaborative discussions regarding improvements to service delivery or efficiencies
- Manage you and your team’s time efficiently and effectively
- Ensure grounds maintenance teams undertake maintenance requests
- Engage and interact with management systems as required
- Maintain excellent housekeeping within all aspects of your areas of responsibility.
- Participate in all relevant training courses as and when required.
- Assist with the identification of potential energy saving initiatives
- Drive Stratford Sports Club transport as required
- Liaise and work with other professional and trades personnel as required
- Operate a personal radio/communication equipment as required
- Ensure you are up to date on the latest Health & Safety legislation and be able to manage all aspects of H&S including risk assessments
- Be a self-motivated, independent thinker with a strong team ethic
- It is essential that the successful candidate holds a full driving licence.
- This role will involve working some evenings and weekends.
Due to operational requirements, there may be occasions when the role holder will be required to work overtime.
On occasion you may be required to attend emergency call outs.
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.
|Qualifications||· Good general education
· Relevant technical qualifications e.g. craft/city & guilds/NVQ Level 3/HNC
· HND/NVQ 4 or degree in relevant technical area.
· Equipment Certification (e.g. forklifts, tractor etc.)
· Relevant health and Safety Qualification (e.g. IOSH, NE)
|· Enhanced horticultural qualification above NVQ3
· Management qualification
|Experience & Knowledge
|· Previous experience of working to tight deadlines
· Several years’ post qualification experience
· Extensive experience of successfully managing staff in a similar role
· Extensive knowledge of relevant Health and Safety legislation and demonstrable experience of day-to-day implementation of Health and Safety practices
· Previous experience of implementing and operating grounds maintenance schedules.
· Excellent IT knowledge and awareness, particularly in relation to Microsoft packages
· Previous experience of successful budget management
· Previous experience of analysing and reporting of team activities
· Experience of working with and developing skills of apprentices
|· Demonstrable previous experience of continuous improvement processes
· Environmental and ecological experience related to estates management
· Excellent knowledge of multi-sports team playing surface requirements and related sports surface maintenance regimes
· Good general awareness of and previous experience of successful recycling processes and practice.
|Competencies and skills||· Excellent knowledge of horticultural principles and gardening operations
· Excellent knowledge of vehicles, horticultural machinery/equipment
· Ability to work on your own initiative
· Effective planning and prioritising skills, as an individual and for a team of people
· Excellent team leader
· Full valid driving licence
· Excellent problem-solving skills
· Excellent customer care skills
|Personal Attributes & Competencies||· Flexibility in working hours to meet operational need
· Ability to work outside in difficult terrain; lift heavy tools; work under pressure in order to deliver outcomes to demanding deadlines
· Excellent attention to detail
In return we will offer you:
- a competitive salary for the right candidate
- 25 days annual leave
- 6% contributory company pension scheme
- a supportive and professional working environment
- an annual salary review
- 10% discount for food and drinks at the Bar/Restaurant
If you think you have what it takes to succeed in this role. Please submit your cover letter and CV to email@example.com by Thursday 9 September 2021.
We reserve the right to bring forward the closing date if we receive a large number of suitable applications.
At Stratford Sports Club people are at the heart of what we do and drive our success. We embrace diversity and actively seek to attract people with unique backgrounds and perspectives. We believe that an inclusive, collaborative workplace is pivotal to our success and supports the potential and growth of all employees.
45 hours per week, working any 5 days from 7 by arrangement with your Manager. Working weekends as required.