Responsible to: Bursar
Responsible for: Grounds staff across all College sites
Hours: 42.5 hours per week plus Saturdays, as required (full year)
Salary: Competitive, dependent upon qualifications and experience
To manage and maintain the highest standard of the grounds, playing surfaces and related facilities for the entire College site, comprising Senior School, Junior School, Farm and additional playing surfaces.
To ensure the effective delivery of services through the management of a team andwithin allocated budget.
To ensure that safe, consistent, well-presented and top quality playing surfaces are always available to pupils, staff and visitors.
The Grounds department consists of the Head of Grounds and a team of Grounds Assistants and Gardeners.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
● Ensure the highest standards of grounds presentation across all College sites.
● Responsible for ensuring that the grounds team present first class playing surfaces as well as maintaining a range of facilities as required seasonally.
● Effectively manage the Grounds team for the College to ensure that all areas are adequately overseen at all times and consistently high standards of work are maintained and all tasks completed.
● Design and implement a strategy in partnership with the Director of Sport that delivers a day to day coordination of playing surfaces for sports to the highest recognised industry standards.
● Prepare, implement and monitor weekly, monthly and annual maintenance programmes within a rolling 5 year development plan in collaboration with both the Director of Sport and Bursar.
● Develop a strong relationship with our Farm Manager, sharing resources and responsibilities where appropriate.
● Plan, implement, monitor and evaluate all College landscaping/development projects.
● Maintain all plant, machinery and equipment and ensure it is correctly stored, maintained and serviced.
● Manage budget including labour resources, grounds maintenance materials, external contractors, machinery, new equipment and capital works.
● Train, develop, and motivate staff to continuously develop their technical skills and user relations.
● Provide front line grounds services in adverse weather conditions such as snow/ice clearance from pathways around site and liaise with SLT for possible site closures.
● Be fully knowledgeable of the Health and Safety regulations in the area of responsibility and ensure compliance at all times, including any necessary risk assessments. Actively promote safe practices of self and others ensuring all relevant staff are using and maintaining Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as necessary. Possess a thorough understanding of legislation relating to chemicals and dangerous substances, as well as COSHH.
● Out of hours cover in the absence of our Resident Caretaker or Facilities Manager, including responding to fire alarm calls and being available via duty phone as required.
● Any other tasks as required by the Bursar.
● A proven track record of at least 5 years experience working within a grounds team including all of the following 3 areas: Sport field maintenance, horticulture and landscaping.
● Ability to manage a team with at least 3 years supervisory experience.
● In depth knowledge of sports pitch maintenance and regeneration.
● Administrative skills to maintain accurate records for both statutory and regulatory procedures.
● Flexible and adaptable.
● Good communication skills.
● Understanding of budget management.
● Holds a valid driving licence.
Competitive plus benefits, including accommodation, free Benenden healthcare, free car parking, free meals (during term-time), contributory pension scheme and uniform where appropriate.
The role holder may be required to work evenings and weekends as required.
Monday, 16 November 2020
Competitive dependent on qualifications and experience