BIGGA Awards showcase greenkeeping at its finest: The British & International Golf Greenkeepers Association (BIGGA) is delighted to reveal the finalists of the annual BIGGA Awards, with greenkeeping teams represented from across the golfing spectrum.
Each year BIGGA invites nominations from the golfing industry to recognise the achievements of its greenkeeping members, who play a vital role in the ongoing success of the sport.
The BIGGA Awards are divided into three categories, with the winners revealed at the BIGGA Celebration with Jacobsen. The event takes place on the opening evening of the BIGGA Turf Management Exhibition (BTME) in January 2024.
The BIGGA Awards recognise that high standards of quality and dedication are vital to the success of any golf course or championship. They reward the innovation of BIGGA members who are at the cutting edge of the profession and any BIGGA member within the UK, regardless of their golf facility’s size, age or reputation, can enter. The awards provide golf clubs with an opportunity to showcase their greenkeeping team’s talents and celebrate their achievements.
BIGGA Awards 2024 finalists
Championship Greenkeeping Performance of the Year sponsored by Bernhard and Company
This award recognises that the success of any tournament depends upon the expertise and dedication of the greenkeeping team. From the lowliest club championship through to golf’s professional tours – all are only made possible due to the work of greenkeepers who go above and beyond to present the finest playing surfaces possible.
The finalists in this category for 2024 are:
- Paisley Golf Club, led by Course Manager Jonathan Caldwell, for hosting the Scottish Golf Men’s Area Team Championship Finals in September 2023
- Portlethen Golf Club, led by Head Greenkeeper Neil Sadler, for hosting the Scottish Golf Boy’s Under 16 Open Championship in July 2023
- Walton Heath Golf Club, led by Course Manager Michael Mann, for hosting US Open Golf Championship Final Qualifying in May 2023 and the AIG Women’s Open in August 2023.
Greenkeeping Project of the Year
This award recognises those greenkeeping teams who have undertaken a specific project, completed within the past year. However, projects can be long term and may include course construction, renovation or rebuild. They particularly award innovative thinking and commitment to the project by the home greenkeeping team.
The finalists in this category for 2024 are:
- Basingstoke Golf Club, led by Course Manager Scott Roberts, for the redevelopment of the former Dummer Golf Club site and creation of a new golf course and associated facilities
- Dudley Golf Club, led by Head Greenkeeper Stewart Marshall, for bringing the golf club back from the brink of closure and producing a thriving venue through a range of course improvement projects
- Sandiway Golf Club, led by Course Manager Richard Sinker, for the ‘Project 1946’ redevelopment that is seeing the golf course revert to its original heathland characteristics
Outstanding Contribution of the Year
This award is presented to a BIGGA member or members who have made an outstanding contribution above and beyond their normal working life. This can be for charity, for the betterment of the greenkeeping profession or association or generally for society. The winner of this award will be revealed at the BIGGA Welcome Celebration at BTME 2024.
More information about each of the finalists can be found on the BTME website.
BIGGA CEO Jim Croxton said: “It has become something of a BIGGA tradition that we sign off the year by revealing the finalists of our annual awards and I couldn’t be prouder of this year’s line-up. The performance of a greenkeeping team can massively impact the fortunes of a golf club and these six finalists all show instances of greenkeepers possessing the confidence and ability to take the lead and ensure their golf club’s ambitions are fulfilled.
“I wish them all the best for the awards and look forward to discovering the winners at the BIGGA Awards on the opening night of BTME 2024.”
Sponsorship opportunities are still available alongside these awards. If you’re interested in getting involved, contact BIGGA’s head of business development Lauren Frazer using firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the latest industry news visit turfmatters.co.uk/news
Get all of the big headlines, pictures, opinions and videos on stories that matter to you.
You can also find us on Facebook for more of your must-see news, features, videos and pictures from Turf Matters.