Mindless ‘Idiots’ Blasted As Football Pitches Wrecked

A football manager has condemned the “idiots” who mindlessly created deep tyre tracks marks and left three pitches unplayable.

Young footballers have been prevented from playing crucial matches for their team after large sections of turf were found ripped up on pitches in Frome Road Park, near East Mount Recreational Centre, east Hull.

The tyre tracks first appeared in late February and Neil Coxon, 36, manager of Hull United’s under 13’s side, joined other club members to help repair the damaged pitches so vital matches could be played.

But he was left heartbroken early last week when he realised the pitches, which are also used by Longhill Ravens FC, had been vandalised once again.

The father-of-two, who lives in Portobello Street, east Hull, said: “I think it’s some idiot in a 4×4. The police can’t really do anything about it unless they catch them and it tends to happen in the middle of the night. No one sees anything during the day.

“The result of five minutes of so-called ‘fun’ has stopped 60 or so kids from playing football which is just ridiculous.

“I’ve been coaching for seven years from when my lad first started and it’s good for them. It gets them active and things like these keep them off the streets but if they can’t play it will turn them back on to the streets.”

Mr Coxon’s son Nathan plays for the under-13s team and the successful side are top of their league. However, their remaining home matches are at a serious risk of being postponed because it’s too dangerous to play on three of the 11 pitches.

Mr Coxon added: “From my lad’s point of view he had been playing since he was five and he’s now playing for the under 13’s. They are top of the league but their game is off because they can’t play on the pitch. He is gutted.

“We initially tried to smooth it over with a shovel and then put a layer of sand on it to try and make it playable. I am no groundsman – I’m a contract manager by trade but I’m trying to make it playable for these kids.Admittedly it’s no Wembley but we want to make it the best we can for them.

“In the summer there will be kids training on there most of the week. At the moment it’s unsafe for them. They could break their necks so from a safety point of view we just can’t let them train on there.”

Tony McCrainor, 46, is club treasurer for Hull United and his son, Bailey, also plays for the under-13s side. He believes quad bikes the size of cars are causing the damage.

Mr McCrainor said: “The kids look forward to their game on a weekend. It’s the be all and end all for a lot of them. They love training and when it comes to matchday on a Sunday it’s always disappointing if we have to call the game off.

“We’ve had trouble before with motorbikes and little mini kids bikes but you cant get round that. But these car-sized quad bikes have absolutely turfed the pitches up and they could twist their ankle playing on it.”

Hull City Countil’s culture and leisure department is aware of the vandalism and has taken steps to prevent further damage being caused.

A spokesperson said: “We have already taken steps to stop the damage caused to the fields by increasing security measures, including locking the main field gates each night.

“We are working with police to identify those who have caused criminal damage, and we would encourage anyone witnessing criminal activity to report it to the police.”

A Humberside police spokeswoman said: “The incidents happened during the hours of darkness over four nights from March 5 to March 8. This has caused substantial damage to the pitches and has now rendered them unusable until significant repair work can be carried out.

“The ground is used widely by the community and the effect it has had, and will have, is great. If anyone knows who has caused this damage please call us on the non-emergency number 101 quoting reference 2255082.”

To read the original article, click here

Muirfield Set To Ditch Men-Only Member Policy

The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers is expected to announce that it has at last voted to ditch their policy of allowing only males to become members at Muirfield.

The R&A is primed to issue an announcement that the famous East Lothian links will be immediately welcomed back on to the Open roster. Last May, the first postal ballot came up to two per cent short, causing the R&A, the ruling body which oversees the game’s oldest major, to tell the privately-owned links that it would no longer be considered as a host venue of the Open.

“The Open is one of the world’s great sporting events and going forward we will not stage the Championship at a venue that does not admit women as members,” a statement at the time said.

With politicians, golfers, media and, more pertinently, the public heaping their derision on Muirfield, the embarrassment was so great that another vote was quickly planned. Sources were adamant that this time around, the numbers would be hugely in support of change and it appears their confidence was well-founded, with one insider reporting the majority to be “more than 90 percent”.

Martin Slumbers, the R&A chief executive, has outlined what is at stake saying: “If the policy at the club should change we would reconsider Muirfield as a venue for the Open in future.”

Muirfield has staged the Open 16 times, producing a who’s who of champions, including Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus, Lee Trevino, Tom Watson, Nick Faldo (twice), Ernie Els and Phil Mickelson, who lifted the Claret Jug there in 2013.

Since the Royal & Ancient – the St Andrews club closely linked to the R&A – voted to allow women to become members in 2014, both Royal St George’s and Royal Troon have followed suit. Many would see Muirfield as being the missing link with modern times.

To read the original article, click here

NGO / Polaris Sportsman 110 Youth ATV Draw Prize Delivered

The National Gamekeepers’ Organisation / Polaris 2016 Prize Draw for a brand new Polaris Sportsman 110 EFI Youth ATV, worth £2,799 (incl. VAT), was won by Tony Hewitt from near Leeds, an NGO member who beats on his local shoot. All proceeds from the sale of the draw tickets go to funding the work of the NGO in promoting and defending keepering. Polaris is an NGO sponsor.

Lucky winner: Tony Hewitt (pictured right) takes delivery of a brand new Polaris Sportsman 110 EFI Youth ATV from Matt North of Polaris dealer Forktruck Solutions in Ossett, West Yorkshire.

Tony Hewitt, the winner of the Polaris Sportsman 110 EFI Youth ATV, a retired self-employed electrician, said: “I was actually taking a line of beaters across a field when the NGO phoned me to say I’d won. You can guess the uproar that caused! It was a shock alright, but I am absolutely delighted. I can guarantee the vehicle will be put to very good use.”

Mr Hewitt added: “I am a supporter member of the NGO and my winning draw ticket was one of the book of tickets that came with my copy of Keeping the Balance, the NGO magazine. I bought the lot. I’d recommend everyone does the same. I’d like to thank both the NGO and Polaris for their generosity. It was a wonderful surprise.”

“Polaris is exceptionally pleased to be a part of this support for the NGO,” said Jim Clarke, Country Manager “and we join in sending our congratulations to Mr. Hewitt and wish all who use the Sportsman Youth ATV the greatest enjoyment.”

Liam Bell, the Chairman of the National Gamekeepers’ Organisation, said: “May I send huge congratulations to Mr Hewitt on buying the winning ticket for the Polaris Sportsman 110 EFI Youth ATV. I’d like to thank him, and all the others who kindly bought tickets, for supporting our draw, as the proceeds help fund the work of the NGO in safeguarding the interests of keepering. And a big thank you, too, to Polaris for its sponsorship.”

The Sportsman 110 EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) offers a wide variety of safety features, such as an adjustable throttle limiter to allow adults to set the vehicle’s maximum speed, daytime running lights, full floorboards and heat shields. Other features include an electric start, automatic transmission, 4-stroke 110cc engine, and long travel suspension. The ATV comes with a high visibility whip flag, safety video and a helmet to help teach children the importance of wearing the correct safety gear. Adult supervision is required for all riders under 16.

Polaris is the industry leader in youth off-road vehicles and heads the pack in promoting youth rider safety. Its youth model off-road vehicles (ORV) lead the way with safety features, making them one of the best-selling youth lines around. Polaris strongly encourages anyone operating an ORV to take appropriate training. A training session with the EASI (European All-Terrain Vehicle Safety Institute) is included free of charge with each Polaris purchase. Extra sessions are available directly from the EASI.

Polaris is the world leader in ATVs, the Polaris Sportsman being one of the best-selling ATVs of all time. As the All-Terrain Specialist, the company also offers the widest range of UTVs with the Ranger Diesel 1000 and six-seater Ranger Diesel 1000 Crew featuring as working and sporting vehicles for outdoor and recreational pursuits, especially keepering and shooting.

Private Gated Community Chooses Iseki Mower

Shotwick Park, located in Chester, U.K. has taken delivery of an Iseki SXG326 cut and collect compact tractor mower to help maintain the eight-acre private residential area. European and U.K. Iseki distributor Ransomes Jacobsen Ltd. supplied the machine and local dealer, F.R. Sharrock Ltd., made the delivery.

Tony Kinkead has been the Estate Manager at Shotwick Park since 2000. Tony owns one of the 14 apartments on-site and maintains the land with the help of fellow gardeners Mick Williams and Paul Long.

Commenting on purchasing the Iseki SXG326 to maintain the estate, Tony said:
“Our main priority when looking for a suitable ride-on mower was the ability of the machine to mulch leaves and to cope well with the amount of grass that we need to cut here. The area is surrounded by many trees which deposit leaves and pine nuts in autumn, so it is important that we are able to keep the area tidy and presentable throughout the year.”

The Iseki SXG326 has been purchased after previously using a different brand for a period of 10 years. The new tractor mower will cut grass in the summer months and has had a tow bar fitted which will assist with other tasks such as maintaining flower beds, shrubs and transporting branches when cutting back trees. During the autumn and winter seasons, the Iseki machine will help with general maintenance tasks and mulching leaves.

“We purchased an Iseki this time around partly because our dealer F.R. Sharrock made us aware of the Iseki brand and the range of products available,” said Tony. “The machine was also better value for money, more comfortable and easier to use; it ticked all of our boxes.”

The Iseki SXG326 is powered by a high torque 1123cc diesel engine and features a brand new instrument panel and dial in height-of-cut adjustment. The machine is able to cut and collect in wet conditions and boasts a 600-litre collector capacity that is engineered to be easily removed, providing simple cleaning and maintenance.

Commenting on the service provided, Tony said:
“Our dealer has been absolutely fantastic. We have now had a 10-year relationship with F.R. Sharrock, and we have always been very well looked after, in particular by Adrian, the area sales manager. Adrian has helped us to find the perfect fit for Shotwick Park and has also attached a tow bar to the machine so that we are able to tow a trailer and deposit any organic materials. We are very happy with our new Iseki machine and the unwavering level of service we continue to experience.”

Shotwick Park is a private, gated residential estate featuring 14 apartments and one detached house. The estate was built, and privately owned, in 1876 by the Vernon family before being purchased by Cheshire County Council in the 1930s. Shotwick Park was used as a home for senior citizens for many years, and also served as a military hospital for a period of time during the Second World War.

Former Groundsman Praises Playability of SISGrass

Former Hull City groundsman Craig Backhouse believes more football clubs should join the SISGrass revolution.

Backhouse, who now works as an Installation Supervisor at SIS Pitches, worked at Hull City for nine years, two of which he spent working with a SISGrass pitch installed by SIS Pitches.

He now travels the world to help install the product in his new role, and has carried out work in the Middle East, Germany, Greece, Turkey as well as a number of projects in the UK.

Having worked on a quick-fire SISGrass installation at Derby County’s iPro Stadium and witnessed AFC Bournemouth becoming the first Premier League club to have a new SISGrass hybrid pitch installed, Backhouse believes more football clubs should follow suit.

“The playability of SISGrass pitches is fantastic, the quality can make a groundsmans’ life so much easier and obviously I have worked on both sides,” said Backhouse.

“It is very important that our team are made up of groundsmen who understand both the grass and also what football clubs want.

“The feedback that we have had from players and clubs across the UK and also abroad has been incredible. It is an important part of the job to ensure that players enjoy playing on the surface.

“Of course, the pitch has to be maintained but my advice to football clubs would be to have SISGrass installed, it is one of the best playing surfaces in the world.

“The yarn and polypropylene fibres that we use stand up in the grass and as a result the ball moves faster across the surface. This means that the chances of playing more free-flowing football are increased greatly.”

Having spent a number of years working for a football club, Backhouse has only been at SIS Pitches for a little over six months. However, he has already seen a rapid rise in the company.

SIS Pitches have landed a number of prestigious projects across the country but have also confirmed deals to design, construct and maintain four pitches for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, including the Luzhniki Stadium, which will host the final.

“SIS Pitches and in particular SISGrass will continue to grow from strength to strength, it is incredible what has been achieved in the last six months alone.

“There is so much variety to the work we do and to be able to travel around building pitches and dealing with different groundsmen every day is fantastic.

“The team we have is excellent, everyone has a great spirit about them but also a determination to ensure that our clients receive the best possible service.”